Monday, May 25, 2009

Views from My Weekday Rides


As I was riding today, I took a few photos so that you can see what I see on my average weekly training route. I just love this area because it is filled with quintessential "Texas" scenery. Everything from Longhorns and horses to windmills and creek beds.

The photo above is a snapshot of some longhorns in a pasture grazing. I know it's not the best quality, but hey...what do you expect from a camera phone! Just imagine sunny and 80 degrees with the wind in your face.

Yes, I feel truly blessed and ALIVE when riding my bike. They say you find time for what’s important to you. As I’ve gotten older I’ve found that to be truer than ever. In my life after cancer, I discovered that time goes rushing by and there’s a sense of urgency in me to do all those things I really want to do and less of what I don’t.

People ask me, "How do you find the time?" I tell them it's not about finding the time, but making time for what is important to you. And that’s how it goes. While the really important stuff–making time for family, work, paying bills, squeezing in some golf now and then–gets done, a lot falls by the wayside. Life after cancer has been about exactly that: Taking the time to chase dreams, face challenges, and see what I can do if I really try.

Yeah...I've learned that the yard mowing, vacuuming, cooking, cleaning, and the dog hair will all still be there when I’m done. I think Erma Bombeck's philosophy on life hit the nail on the head when she said that you should "seize every minute of it...look at it and really see it...try it on...live it...exhaust it...and never give that minute back until there was nothing left of it."


Maybe that's why I stop my bike and just look at a windmill every now and then. God, I am glad to be alive!







No comments:

Post a Comment