Tuesday, May 12, 2009

No Longer a Virgin to Road Rash-OUCH!

Sooner or later, they say you will fall off you bike. Well, I finally had my first crash on the bike today-OUCH!

Let's not get into the reasons why I found myself crashing onto the gravel and dirt on the side of the road; the circumstances are far too embarrassing to repeat. But after I picked myself up and hopped around my bike repeating the mantra "sonofabitch," it occurred to me that I should probably write up a piece about riding within yourself (ability level) on my blog.

The frustrating thing about it was not that I did it in front of a new group of riders, but that I wiped out on a downhill turn that I ride twice a week.

Having performed very well on the Saturday ride, I felt I was ready to test the waters with a more advanced group. I wanted to join the group for two main reasons..(1) to enjoy some of the camaraderie of riding with a group for a change during the week and (b) to use the group's energy to try and ramp up my average miles per hour.

A fairly large group of riders had assembled at the start point and things looked very promising for a good ride. The weather was not too hot, just a little humidity in the air. The wind was starting to kick up, but with the group, that looked like it wouldn't be a big problem. So off we went. The group speed took a little getting used to, making sure I kept up with everyone once we hit an open stretch of road. Little did I know what was ahead.

Not much to write about it because accident happened about 7 miles into a 32 mile ride. The reality is, if you fall off your bike, it is usually your own doing. Owning the reason I fell today instead of blaming it on the road conditions is the first step to becoming a better rider.
NOTE: Prevention is the best medicine…ride within myself.

1 comment:

  1. Ouch! Sorry to hear that.
    For me, in preparation for the triathlon, I have to remember it's all about pacing. If I start out too quickly on any of the three events, I burn out.
    (And I've had road rash before as a result of rollerblading. It sucks!)

    ReplyDelete