Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Back in the Saddle Again!

After a week of healing the Road Rash since my bike mishap on the 12th, I am proud to say that I am back in the saddle again! I still have some bruises, cuts, aches and pains but for the most part I am back to my training regimen for the Lance Armstrong Challenge. I am on a mission to make every moment of my conditioning count because Oct. will be here before you know it!

I took my bike with me up to Sherman, Texas this weekend when I went to help my son move into his new apartment at college. Since I my injuries were starting to heal, I figured that I could get some bike rides in between the cleaning and shopping for necessities for his new place. Sherman, TX is a small college town in north Texas (about an hour north of Dallas) and it has some very beautiful countryside as well cooler weather.

After some light cleaning on Saturday, I decided to Google for the area bike shops in Sherman. BINGO, I found one. Then I got in my truck and went by the shop to ask about area bike routes. The nice guy there printed me a map of a great 25 mile route not too far from where I was staying. Yeah, now I was all set to go for a ride on Sunday!

As I mentioned earlier, the weather here was gorgeous so there was no need to plan my ride early or late in the day. The cool weather in Sherman made it perfect for riding any time. So after shopping for apartment items and doing some more cleaning I decided to take a break and go ride.

I went out to a road called "Dripping Springs" and if that name is not a sign from above I do not know what else would be. It's where Lance has his ranch house and where the famous "Deadman's Hole" is that he wrote about in his book.

Anyhow, I only got lost once and was able to enjoy some awesome Texas scenery. Due to the hills and being a little out of shape, I only did 20 miles this day. I figured getting in a short brisk ride was better than no ride at all. When I say "brisk", it's because I was chased by a few dogs on this route. Def a good cardio workout when this kind of surprise happens to ya!

The only drawback to my rides this trip were that my bike gears started slipping on uphill climbs and chases...so it looks like back the bike shop for more adjusting.

Photo above of the REAL Deadman's Hole

No comments:

Post a Comment