Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Is This The Last Hill?????

Yep, believe it or not this is the name of the ride I did last Saturday through the Texas Hill Country. It's a ride that has routes that vary from 25 to 70 miles and go through Comfort, Sisterdale, Waring-Welfare and Old Hwy. 9 to Luckenbauch. The description on the website said "The hills are challenging and definitely not for the faint-of-heart."
NOTE: Read ride descriptions carefully!

I got up early Saturday morning and went to the kitchen to prepare my usual weekend pre-ride breakfast. My plan was to do about a 40-45 mile route. As extra "carbo" insurance, I decided to add some yogurt and black berries to this morning's menu.
NOTE: Extra calories are a good decision.

I showed up at the starting point on time, signed in on the ride roster and started to warm up with a few laps in the parking lot. As I began to look around, I noticed that today's group was not attended by the usual suspects.
NOTE: When other riding attendees look like Hammerheads, be ready for a challenging ride.

As I got into the ride, I found a couple of riders to hang with and made light conversation with them. It appears that the ride got its name from some first time riders who were panting this mantra during the last miles of their ride back to the starting point. After finding out this little bit of trivia, I began to start considering doing the 35 mile route.


The scenery was incredibly beautiful and the hills were the most challenging thus far. I somehow managed to hammer out 35 miles this day. YES, I found myself panting at the end...Is this the last hill? The ride was my hardest yet and I am glad I did it.


My goal next time on this ride? 45 miles...hoo-ah!

No comments:

Post a Comment