Friday, October 23, 2009

Two Days Away...GAME ON!

It’s now two days away and I did my last training ride before the big ride yesterday with my friend Beth. Yes, I am still feeling a few butterflies, but Beth has a way of making me feel so ready. She’s always telling “you’ll do great…you have put in the training and that’s what it’s all about.” It is so great to ride with such a positive friend that can pump you up when you are feeling a little self-doubt.


If you read this Beth…TY for all your encouragement and helpful advice…you rock!


Now, it is time for my mental preparation and time to get on my game face.


Lance once said, “Through my illness I learned rejection. I was written off. That was the moment I thought, Okay, game on. No prisoners. Everybody's going down.” That’s kind of how I felt too during my chemo. It’s the attitude you must have to get through the pain you are about to endure.


My battle with cancer taught me that when you train your mind, your body will follow. Your mind can be your best friend or your worst enemy. That is why it is paramount that I focus on how far I have come in my quest. What started out at 6 miles has evolved to 66 and 70 miles. That in itself is a huge accomplishment.


Sure, there have been many times that I would have preferred staying in bed and sleeping in or sitting on the couch with a glass of wine and watching a movie versus going out and training. The difference was my inner voice. The internal influence that always tells me that there are no short cuts to reaching goals and that I have never regretted a workout or training session.


This year, my goal is to finish the 90 mile ride and not be routed off to a shorter course. Next year, I can strive for a new PR!


Leavin’ for Austin tomorrow morning!


No comments:

Post a Comment