Tuesday, October 27, 2009

90 miles...I really did it!!!!!!!!!

All the training, hard work and time in the saddle paid off on Oct.25, 2009. Yes, I completed the Lance Armstrong Challenge of 90 miles on a bike. I made it in a little over 6 hours. Not too bad for a rookie!

The weather was sunny with winds up 20-25 mph. No matter how hard the wind blew, I was not about to give up. Cancer may have taken a part of my body, but it wasn't going to take me down...not today. This day was all about kicking cancer’s butt.


The LAF weekend was a huge success. I met people from all over the world and the U.S. The weekend was life changing for me and more importantly...life changing for others. Another amazing thing was that this weekend raised over 4 million dollars for the foundation.


As the old Chinese proverb says, “One picture is worth ten thousand words.” So, I will let the photos tell the story.





This is at packet pick-up. I got to meet Chris Carmichael, Lance's trainer. This was a huge thrill for me.





Elisha and I at the LiveSTRONG appreciation dinner the night before the event. Yes, "Mellow Johnny" himself was there! What a great time for all.




New friends at our table...Blair, Marty and Dana. We met at the LAF dinner. Blair and Marty are from CA and Dana's from Dallas, TX. The girls did the 5k and Marty did the 90 mile ride.






Here, I just unloaded my bike. I got up at 4:30 am WITHOUT an alarm...can you believe it? I guess I had a little adrenaline pumpin' in the ole' body this morning!





At the Starting Line getting a good place in crowd. Almost 4,000 bikes - YIKES!!!! What a big event for my first one? You know me...not afraid of taking on giants.










Mellow Johnny himself...Lance!
A few words of inspiration from the host. I think he got us all pumped up for the challenge. My pulse was racing now...and I wasn't even on the bike!













And we're OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!








Mile 52 and pedaling hard to the next "Power Station" on the route. My butt is starting to feel the pain and getting off the bike to get a banana and Gatorade is just around the bend.
OMG - I can hardly wait!






Guess who showed up at the next Power Station???? Elisha and RICH (my s on-he's been away at college and surprised me last night before the dinner-what a awesome gift it was)!!!!!!






















Here I come... .....all I have to do is finish!







I can't believe it...I did it!!!!!!!!!! I guess something is not really a challenge unless you have a little doubt. ;)








Getting my survivor Yellow Rose rocked! I have in vase at home now...it's one special rose :)
I did it!!!!














Thank you all for your support, prayers and good wishes!!!! On Oct. 25th I kicked
CANCER in the ASS!!!!!






and road my bike to tell everyone about it.

3 comments:

  1. Way to go Dianne! Great job on the ride. You've really shown what it means to "Live Strong". It was such a pleasure to meet you and Elisha. Thanks for sharing your story and for inspiring us to do all we can to kick cancer's butt! We hope to see you two at another Livestrong Challenge next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great report, Dianne. That's some good form on that bike, too! You look like a pro.

    Ditto what Blair said--we really enjoyed dinner with you and Elisha. Perhaps we will see you at LIVESTRONG Austin...2010??

    I finally posted my race report, and it includes a link to your blog. LIVESTRONG!

    ReplyDelete
  3. p.s. Great photos, too. Way to bring it, Elisha!!

    ReplyDelete