Thursday, October 1, 2009

Putting in Saddle Time

What a difference cool weather makes when you are riding a bike. It makes the miles fly by as well as makes those big hills a lot easier t o climb. Yes, I am still bathing in the ether of my morning ride today…35 miles of 70 something weather...ah, what a great time of year to ride in the Texas hill country!


I don’t mind riding alone in weather like this. Even if I’m running late to a meeting and there is a ruthless headwind, I am happy. If I get soaked by a sneak rain shower attack, I swear, laugh and keep on pedaling. When I get to ride with a friend, it’s double the fun.


So, how’s my training going? Super! I am right on schedule for my upcoming Lance Armstrong Challenge this month in Austin, TX. It’s less than four weeks away now and I feel that I will be ready for the 90 mile test.


To date, I have put well over 2,000 miles on my bike since mid April. As with most sports, proficiency only comes when you have spent hours and hours “in the saddle.” The time I have put in has translated into muscle memory for future use and improved performance. Can you imagine the hours the tour riders spend in their saddles developing extreme fitness and mental concentration?


As I approach the end of my big mileage phase in preparation for the LAC, I can certainly feel how my relationship with my bike has evolved. I now feel totally “at one” with my bike. When I hop on my bike, I feel in sync, smooth and confident—I can grip a corner, hop a bump, climb a big hill, and power along the flats like never before.


Must be all those hours in the saddle!

No comments:

Post a Comment