Friday, July 3, 2009

Mile by Mile...My Training Continues

I have put over 750 miles on my bike since late April and now average between 125 to 150 miles per week in training for my challenge. So far, my personal best has been 16.7 mph on a flatter terrain and 15.5 on the hillier routes. Last night, I even managed to throw in a few pseudo-intervals on my ride. What a work-out!

You might wonder what kind of person tracks statistics like the mileage, average speed, altitude gain and time in the saddle after every ride?

Well, me for one.

I want to know how I am progressing all the time. Matter of fact, I am even looking into a riding coach now to help me with ridding nuances. The guy I am looking at recruiting gave me the best advice when I started. He told me“…first, you just need to get out there and just ride. You need to get miles under your belt in order to create muscle memory, build endurance and to get your brain comfortable on the bike.”

What sage advice…just get out there and ride. Well I guess he ought to know since he used to ride professionally.

OBTW-here’s a better photo of one of my route buddies. I have quite a few animals on my weekday ride that I say hello to as I pass by them (I call him Bevo of course).


Well, I am out the door to go ride now. It’s a holiday!

No comments:

Post a Comment