Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Not DFL Anymore!

At least that is what you can say about me in last Saturday’s ride. Yep, and I even did this on a 52 mile route that was hillier than the famous “Is This The Last Hill?” ride. I could hardly believe it myself. The fact that I did not come in last was such an incredible feeling! Especially, when you are used to showing up at the end of a ride and seeing only one car left in the parking lot….YOURS.

I can’t say that I knew this ride was going to be tough going in the onset. Quite the opposite, I thought this ride would have a few hills and would give my legs a break. It wasn’t until I was actually there at the starting point that I heard this ride was going to be tougher than last weekend’s 52 mile route.

When I heard this route was tougher, I cringed inside. A part of me wanted to pack my bike up and go home. I just did not know if I had it in me to do another tough ride in 95 degree heat.

I was once told by a professional cyclist…”most riders are screwed up, how else can you explain why someone would push themselves so hard? It’s like they are trying to prove something” (this person competed in the Tour De France and road against Lance). He went on to say, “…you can see it on his face. It’s like he’s battling something inside”

Well, you guessed it. This crazy cancer surviving girl hopped on her saddle and began peddling down the road.

It was a tough ride and once again, I amazed myself. Bicycling with the wind in my face just sends my senses into hyper-drive. It's is truly life at its best. There’s no other way I can explain how it makes me feel.

And yes, you have to be a little driven by something different inside to even do such an endurance sport (with me, it was facing my mortality).

I just do it. Ultimately, there will come a time when I won't be able to and I don’t plan on leaving this world with many regrets!

No comments:

Post a Comment