Wednesday, July 22, 2009

"Don't whine, Don't Complain, Don't Make Excuses"

The other night when I was watching the ESPY awards, Northern State University men’s basketball coach Don Meyer was presented with the Jimmy V Award for Perseverance.

The Jimmy V Award is an award which is given to a member of the sporting world who has overcome great obstacles through physical determination and perseverance.

Meyer lost part of his leg and battled cancer after surviving a near-fatal car accident. He was driving a car that collided with a truck last September. In January, Meyer set a national record for career coaching wins in NCAA men’s basketball. Like Lance, Coach Meyer is an amazing person and an inspiration to many.

In his acceptance speech last night he mentioned a gift he was given many years ago by a friend. On this wallet card he read, “Don’t whine, don’t complain, don’t make excuses.” Meyer said that these words meant more to him now than ever. As a fellow cancer survivor, his words touched me in a very special way because it embodies the attitude you gotta have to fight for your life.

Some days when I am on my bike rides it feels like I'm strolling through a grassy meadow with a mild summer breeze blowing through my hair. Other days, it feels like I'm climbing a sheer cliff wall and I wonder if I can even peddle another rotation. I'm afraid I'll fall over on my bike and sometimes I feel like just letting go. But I don't. I don't ever give up. No matter what! I've watched too many people give up on their dreams. Give up on their goals. And I will NOT be one of them. I will get to the top of the hill!

It’s that love/hate/love thing I wrote about in an earlier blog. I really don’t wish my training was easier, I just wish I was better. When I feel myself getting stronger I know its because I put in the hard work to make it happen.

I won't make excuses. I won't use the "yeah but," I won't whine and cry when things don't go my way. I know that there's a purpose for everything and even though I don't see it immediately, it doesn't mean the purpose isn't there. Just because the clouds hide the sun does not mean the sun isn't there.

Oh, by the way…I got my first bee sting while cycling yesterday. The wasp hit my face and I swatted it away (or so I thought). Took a wasp sting right in the stomach. I didn't panic. Since I have never been allergic before, I just kept on riding despite the stinging feeling. I am taking Benedryl today to relieve the swelling, itching and redness.

It really wasn't a pleasant experience, but hey it gives me something to talk about!

No comments:

Post a Comment