Wednesday, July 15, 2009

950 Miles So Far…I Love Riding My Bike!

As I got in from riding my 30 miles this morning, I could feel my self smiling. Then, it occurred to me that I always feel this way when I get in from a ride. How lucky I am to be riding a bike!

There are so many reasons why I love riding my bike. First of all, it’s just plain fun. It reminds me of a simpler time in my life – childhood. Back then, I could just hop on my bike and go just about anywhere I wanted. My bike was my freedom and independence.

Now, despite my battle with cancer I'm fortunate to have a strong, healthy body, the abilities to pedal, balance and move quickly once again. I love to feel my muscles' strength as I use my own energy to get where I need to go. I love the feeling of adrenaline and blood pumping as I climb a huge hill. It is so empowering to me because 13 years ago I was down on my knees, weak, bald, and driving the porcelain bus.

Did I mention how nice other cyclists are? Yes, there’s also a great camaraderie with other cyclists as we pass each other on the path or road. Everyone waves, nods or says “hello” to you on your rides. There have even been times when I have joined up with other riders in the middle of my rides.

I love riding in the morning. The quiet time the ride affords me to start thinking about the day and mentally prepare before the phone starts ringing or I am immersed in e-mails. I arrive at my desk more alert and ready for the day's challenges.

In the late afternoon, I love the opportunity to pedal out any stress after a long day's work and process any difficult situations. There’s nothing like a good hard ride in the heat to unwind. Plus, I sleep more soundly at night because I've had such a good workout in my day.

Sure, it takes me longer to do a ride than it does for me to go work-out at the gym. And yes, it takes preparation because I must prep my bike, fill water bottles and drive out to my route area. But the physical and mental benefits far outweigh the time trade-offs.

I can’t think of many other activities that strengthen you in body, mind and spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment