Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Interval Training - My New Frontier

First of all, I want to let everyone know that YES, I HAVE BEEN RIDING despite my blog neglect. It’s just that life sometimes interferes with entries. Rest assured that no matter what, I am getting my rides done each week.

O.K….now for my entry….

When I reached 1,000 base miles I decided that I was ready for the next level in my cycling…Interval Training. So, what exactly is Interval Training? The basic concept of this type of training is to increase your overall amount of time spent training at a higher intensity, therefore increasing your endurance ability to ride fast longer. Science has proved that training at a high intensity leads to performance gains, particularly in professional athletes. The whole point of intervals is to allow you to increase the amount of time your body is able to train at a high intensity, therefore increasing your overall fitness level.

If it sounds pretty technical, it’s because it is and I use a heart rate monitor to help me with mine.

Right now, I am just starting this type of training. For me, I call it IT 101 or Interval Training for Dummies. This means my intervals are fewer (about 5 to 6 times) and for shorter periods of time (I judge this by heart rate).

First, I pick out a good long hill to climb (not too steep, but a good hard steady climb I can pedal on – nor one that’s too easy so that I will be spinning). I use a big gear. One that I can manage and then ride hard for a good distance to get my heart rate up to about 80-95%.

Although I was watching my heart rate monitor the first time I did these, my legs and lungs were already telling me that I was training in my threshold. I could feel my legs stinging after each one like they were asleep (I am told this is the lactate acid I am feeling in my muscles). Yes, these are particularly unpleasant to perform and…well, I just don’t like them very much!

No matter…if I want to get better, increase endurance, and insure that I finish 90 miles in a respectable amount of time then I will hammer these bad boys out when needed. From my research, I am told that as I progress I will be able to increase the numbers of repeats and as well as the lengths of my intervals. Additionally, I read where it is common for cyclists to do these intervals for up to 10 minutes (OMG-I can’t imagine going for this amount of time!). And another benefit? I will be able to increase my lactate tolerance!

All kidding aside…if this is what it takes, well then I am going to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment