Monday, August 17, 2009

From 6 Miles to 60 – My Journey on My Bike

Last February when I came out and told some friends at a dinner party that THIS was the year I was going to ride the Lance Armstrong Challenge, I only imagined what this would be like. I was not a cyclist. Matter of fact, I had not been on a bike in over 20 years!


During these past few weekends I reached another milestone – completion of my third 60 miler. This is officially the longest distance I have ever completed in a single training ride. What started out at 6 miles has now progressed into a 60 mile journey into a new education. What I mean is that you don’t get to 60 miles without learning a few more lessons in life.


I used to think that golf was the ultimate teacher. However, I have learned that being on a bike can teach you a few things too. Riding my bike has taught me to make peace with myself and to enjoy where I am at that moment in time. I have learned to make time for myself and to enjoy my own company. I have also learned to try harder, take chances, and yes, to make mistakes. All of which, make me feel very much appreciative of where I am today.


So, I guess you can say that my training is going pretty damn well. Just four months ago, 90 miles was almost unthinkable. And now, I am just 30 miles from reaching my training goal.


I want to say that really appreciate all of the encouragement from my friends and family, I can't begin to describe how your kind words have pushed me to my limit, when I thought I couldn't go any further. My fundraising efforts for the Lance Armstrong Foundation are doing well. So far, I have raised $2,926 and am in the process of receiving even more donations. By the time the event happens I hope to have reached a new goal of $5,000 for the cause.


Last year, I caught my first Marlin - something that has been on my bucket list for many years. For cycling, its “big fish” is the century ride and I fully intend on reeling this in one day too.


As I celebrated my 46th birthday this year, I reflected on something Lance once said “Birthdays don't really matter much anymore ... for me, I sort of have a new birthday and that's October 2nd, the day I was diagnosed, ... the day we all sort of look to and mark these milestones by one year, two year, five year, 10 year. Hopefully, I have a 50 year.” Now, I feel 13 years young and just like a kid riding her bike…happy, healthy and STRONG!

No comments:

Post a Comment